Rachel Siegel, Chairperson– 717-274-1197
Baked Product Rules
1. All products must have been made by the exhibitor. Premiums will not be paid for commercial products.
2. All entries must have exhibitor name, class name and number and department printed on a piece of tape attached to the bottom the container. Cake pans and/or pie plates must be disposable – will not be returned.
3. Only a portion of the product will be displayed. All baked goods become property of the Fair.
4. Open to exhibitors of any age.
5. Entries will be judged on appearance, flavor, texture and doneness.
6. Cakes classes are split into oil/butter cakes (not iced) and specialty cakes (including iced layer cakes).
01. Bran (3 in plastic bag)
02. Fruit (3 in plastic bag)
03. Corn (3 in plastic bag)
04. Herb (3 in plastic bag)
05. Bar– 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 (3 on a plate)
06. Drop (3 on a plate)
07. Rolled (3 on a plate)
08. Molded (3 on a plate)
09. Whoopie Pies (3 on a plate)
10. Any Other (3 on a plate)
Pies and Pastries Classes:
11. Shoo Fly Pie (1 9” pie)
12. Cherry Pie (1 9” pie)
13. Other Fruit Pie (1 9” pie)
14. Dumplings, Any Fruit (3)
15. Pastries, Any Other (3)
16. Quick Bread-fruit/nut bread (1 loaf)
17. Yeast Bread-white (1 loaf in plastic bag)
18. Yeast Bread-whole wheat/grain (1 loaf in plastic bag)
19. Yeast Bread-dark other grain (1 loaf in plastic bag)
20. Machine Baked Bread-white (1 loaf in plastic bag)
21. Machine Baked Bread-Any Other(1 loaf in plastic bag)
22. Yeast Rolls-white (3 rolls, uniform size in plastic bag)
23. Yeast Rolls-whole wheat/grain (3 rolls, uniform size in plastic bag)
24. Sticky Buns (3 on plate in plastic bag)
25. Pretzels (3 on plate in plastic bag)
26. Bagels (any flavor/s, 3 on plate)
Butter/Oil Cake Classes:
*Un-iced single 8” round, 9”x13” or 8”x 8” sheet.
27. Chocolate– not iced, see above*
28. Yellow– not iced, see above*
29. White– not iced, see above*
30. Yellow with added fruits/vegetables– not iced, see above*
31. Other Flavor– not iced, see above*
Specialty Cakes-Including Layer Cakes:
32. Pound Cake, tube or loaf, not iced
33. Chiffon, tube or loaf, not iced
34. Angel Food, tube or loaf, not iced
35. Iced Cake (Layer or Sheet), any flavor(s)
36. Cupcakes, any flavor (3 cupcakes, iced)
37. Original cake using box mix (icing optional)
38. Coffee Cake-with fruit (1: 8-10” or 9”x13” cake)
39. Coffee Cake-without fruit (1: 8-10” or 9”x13” cake)
40. Other Cakes including cake roll
Candy & Nuts Classes:
41. Chocolate Fudge (1/2 lb.)
42. Opera Fudge (1/2 lb.)
43. Peanut Brittle (1/2 lb.)
44. Candied or spiced nuts–any 1 or mix of nut species in half pint or pint jar. (Plain, unroasted nuts may be purchased. Spices/coating must be added by exhibitor.)
45. Candy/confection (including dipped fruit, nuts, candy)
Sugar Free, Gluten-free Classes:
46. Sugar-free Quick Bread (3 muffins or 1 loaf)
47. Sugar-free Cookies- (3 on a plate)
48. Gluten-free Bread, Quick or Yeast-must attach recipe
49. Gluten-free Cookies, drop or bar-must attach recipe (3 on a plate)
Cake Decorating Classes: Judged on decorating skills (neatness, design, etc.) ONLY. Base may be other than cake.
Gingerbread Classes: Judged on decorating skills ONLY.
53. Gingerbread House
Premiums: 1st-$8.00; 2nd-$6.00; 3rd-$4.00; 4th-$2.00; 5th $1.00
ENTRY FEE: $.80
Check out Department 23 for Honey Baking Opportunities!
CANNED OR DRIED PRODUCTS
Canned or Dried Product Rules
1. Canned fruits and vegetables to be judged on quality, proper canning method (see USDA 1994 recommendations) and general appearance.
2. Entries must be in standard clear canning jar with new two piece canning lid and contain a label with method of pack (hot or raw), method of processing (boiling water bath or pressure canned), and processing time. Quarts or pints accepted. Jars are only opened for Dried Fruit/Vegetable classes 28-33. Failure to label the entry (as detailed above) may lead to the entry being disqualified.
BUTTER, JAMS, JELLIES
Butter, Jam, Jellies Rules
1. Jams and Jellies will be tasted and judged on color, textures, and flavor.
2. Entries must be exhibited in one-half or pint canning jars with new two-piece canning lid and contain a label with method and processing time. NO PARAFFIN ACCEPTED. NO FREEZER JAM METHOD ENTRIES.
03. Any Other
06. Any Other
07. Apple Butter
08. Any Other
Premiums: 1st-$4.00; 2nd-$3.00; 3rd-$2.00; 4th-$1.00 ENTRY FEE: $.40
1. Vinegars must be in clear glass containers.
2. Vinegars will be tasted.
Premiums: 1st-$4.00; 2nd-$3.00; 3rd-$2.00; 4th-$1.00
ENTRY FEE: $.40
Debbie Hartman, Chairperson– 717-270-4391
Special Contest Rules
1. Pre-registration is not required. No entry fee.
2. Bring entry to Center Hall between 10:00 a.m. and noon on Monday, July 25. Winners will be announced after 2:00 p.m.
3. Creativity is strongly encouraged. Decorative icing is allowed. Refer to individual contest rules regarding icing specifications.
Special Contest Classes:
1. Apple Pie
2. Angel Food Cake Contest
3. PA Preferred Junior Baking Contest
4. Homemade Chocolate Cake Contest